Managing allergies or anaphylaxis? Remember to check drinks for allergens too.
People aren’t always aware of allergens in drinks so we thought it would be good to share our Instagram post & remind everyone to check drinks for allergens too.
Examples of food allergens in alcohol drinks include;
- Pine nuts in craft beer
- Almonds in some gins such as Beefeater and Bombay Sapphire
- Dairy in Cream liquors, White Russians or Pina Coladas
- Egg white – Whiskey Sour or other cocktails with white froth may contain raw egg white
- Egg White – To salt or sugar rim cocktail glasses
- Chickpea Liquid (Aquafaba or Garbanzo) – may be used as an egg substitute to create white froth in cocktails such as Passionfruit Martini or Gin Fizz
- Gluten in beers & spirits
- Sulphites & Histamines in wine and beers
- Sodium benzoate in soft drinks, wine & beer
So remember to treat alcohol like food and check for allergens every time
Other useful tips while socialising with allergies include:
- Don’t share bottles in case others have consumed allergens
- Carry two epinephrine auto-injectors and a fully charged mobile phone.
- Let friends know how & where you are carrying emergency meds.
- It’s important that auto-injectors are on your person and not given to a bouncer/staff member to mind.
- Get a trainer epinephrine auto-injector & show anyone you socialise with how to use it.
- Wear a Medical ID with ICE info